last revised: 10/11/2012
Under direction or working alone, reapirs, services and performs major and minor repairs to diesel
tractors, straight trucks and other diesel engine vehicles.
The following duties are typical for this job clasification. Incumbants may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may
required to oerform additional or different duties from those set forth to address business needs and changing business
1.Inspect diesel trucks and related equipment to locate and determine the extent of the required repair.
2.Perform general repair work on gasoline and diesel powered engines on trucks, semi tractors
and construction equipment at off site locations and in garage.
3.Inspect, adjust and replace necessary units and related parts including, but not confined to,
valves, belts, hoses, alternators, clutches, A/C systems and transmissons.
4.Repair cooling, fuel, electrical and exhaust systems, tune engines using standard testingequipment.
5.Diagnose, repair and maintain hydraulic systems.
6.Perform preventive maintenance work on vehicles, including lubrication and oil changes.
7.Fabricate and weld to repair equipment as necessary.
8.Operate vehicles and equipment to aid in diagnostics; pick up and deliver vehicles. CDL license a plus.
9.Clean and maintain garage area, equipment and service trucks.
10.Maintain records and necessary paperwork
- Methods, materials, equipment and tools used in vehicle and equipment maintenance and repair.
- Various mechanical systems of gasoline and diesel engines.
- Various electrical systems of gasoline and diesel engines.
- Standard practices of gasoline and diesel engine repair and maintenance.
- Methods and techniques of welding and fabrication.
- Operating and repair characteristics of hydraulic systems.
- Shop mathematics.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Perform a variety of duties in diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairing vehicles, equipment
- and components.
- Inspect vehicles to locate mechanical defects, to diagnose mechanical, electrical and hydraulic
- problems and to determine corrective actions.
- Perform a variety of welding work.
- Estimate time and material needed for job.
- Use various hand and power driven shop tools.
- Prepare and maintain clear and accurate reports.
Understand and follow oral and written instructions.Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.Education and experience guidelinesTwo years of diesel vehicle repair and maintenance preferred.Diploma from a diesel repair or maintenance school a plus.Physical demands and working environmentEnvironment: Work is performed primarily in a shop environment; occasional fieldenvironment with some travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, dust, grease, smokefumes, noxious odors, gasses, all kinds of weather and temperature conditions; exposure tohazardous traffic conditions; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slipperyor uneven surfaces and rough terrain; incumbents may be requiredto work extended hoursincluding evenings and weekends.Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in amechanic shopenvironment: walk, stand and sit for prolonged periods of time; frequently stoop,bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach and trwist; push, pull, lift and/or carry moderate toheavy amounts of weight; operate assigned equipment and vehicles; and to verballycommunicate to exchange information.Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.Hearing: Hear in the normal range with or without correction.