SEMI TRAILER MECHANIC
last revised: 10/11/2012
Under direction or working alone, reapirs, services and performs major and minor repairs to semi
trailers, straight trucks and other commercial vehicles.
The following duties are typical for this job clasification. Incumbants may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may
required to oerform additional or different duties from those set forth to address business needs and changing business
1. Inspect semi trailers and related equipment to locate and determine the extent of the required repair.
2. Perform general repair work on semi trailers and related equipment at off site locations and in garage.
3. Repair pneumatic,electrical and structural systems as needed.
4.Diagnose, repair and maintain mechanical semi trailer systems.
5.Perform preventive maintenance work on semi trailers.
6.Fabricate and weld to repair equipment as necessary.
7.Operate vehicles and equipment to aid in diagnostics; pick up and deliver vehicles. CDL license a plus.
8.Clean and maintain garage area, equipment and service trucks.
9.Maintain records and necessary paperwork.
- Methods, materials, equipment and tools used in vehicle and equipment maintenance and repair.
- Various mechanical systems of semi trailers.
- Various electrical systems of semi trailers.
- Standard practices of semi trailer repair and maintenance.
- Methods and techniques of welding and fabrication.
- Shop mathematics.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Perform a variety of duties in diagnosing, troubleshooting and repairing semi trailers,equipment and components.
- Inspect semi trailers to locate mechanical and structural defects, to diagnose mechanical and
- electrical problems and to determine corrective actions.
- Perform a variety of welding work.
- Estimate time and material needed for job.
- Use various hand and power driven shop tools.
- Prepare and maintain clear and accurate reports.
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Education and experience guidelines
Two years of semi trailer repair and maintenance preferred.
Physical demands and working environment
Environment : Work is performed primarily in a shop environment; occasional field
environment with some travel from site to site; exposure to noise, dust, dust, grease, smoke,
fumes, noxious odors, gasses, all kinds of weather and temperature conditions; exposure to
hazardous traffic conditions; work and/or walk on various types of surfaces including slippery
or uneven surfaces and rough terrain; incumbents may be required to work extended hours
including evenings and weekends.
Physical: Primary functions require sufficient physical ability and mobility to work in a
mechanic shop environment: walk, stand and sit for prolonged periods of time; frequently stoop,
bend, kneel, crouch, crawl, climb, reach and twist; push, pull, lift and/or carry moderate to
heavy amounts of weight; operate assigned equipment and vehicles; and to verbally
communicate to exchange information.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Hearing : Hear in the normal range with or without correct